Could We Write God A Prayer Letter?

Could We Write God A Prayer Letter?

Do you keep a prayer list?

I used to keep a prayer list taped to the console of my car, and everyday as I drove to work I prayed for the same list.  The list consisted of family and friends who had deep needs, either physically or emotionally, or those I prayed for to find the Lord.



By the time I got to work in Calabasas I had usually prayed for the whole list.  Some days it seemed tediously repetitive, but I was determined to be the squeaky wheel, the man knocking repeatedly on his neighbor’s door, the woman who talked God’s ears off.

When I moved my business to the ranch, my daily car-prayers were exchanged for other methods.  I pray as I go to sleep at night, putting my concerns before God.  It helps me sleep better.  I pray when I see or remember someone. I pray with others when we meet together.  I try to pray for someone or something in addition to the food at meals.  I practice the presence of God as much as I am able.


This week I read something that might help us listen to God together: 
Why not write our own Psalms?   A psalm is really a matter of writing our prayers.  Let’s think about pouring our hearts out to God like 21st century believers.


Here is a psalm written by Howard D. Vanderwell:
O God, you are like coffee to me!
. . . I thirst for you in the morning when I wake.
. . . Your warmth continues to travel through me.
. . . I return to you throughout the day and get renewed and refreshed.

John Calvin said that the Psalms breathed out the anatomy of the writer’s soul.  David cried bitter tears, confessed his fear, shouted with praise, honestly expressed doubt, lamented his circumstances, sang with bold thanksgiving.  We do that.  Why not write them down?


Here is a process to help us along the way:
  • 1. Gather up your materials: a Bible or two, paper, pen/pencil.  Find a spot where you can work without interruption, where no one will hear you if you read aloud or unexpectedly find yourself weeping as you pray.  Be sure you have a comfortable chair.  Maybe light a candle or turn on soft instrumental music.
  • 2. Spend a few minutes in prayer as you begin each session.  Ask God to help you open your heart to Him during the reading and writing process.  Ask Him for help and inspiration for your writing.
  • 3. Choose a psalm that speaks to you.  Probably a short one is best to start with.  Try it in different translations. Perhaps one that you particularly like, or one that speaks to the current state of your heart.  What is it that particularly draws you to this psalm?
  • 4. Prayerfully read it several times.  Allow the scripture to shape you with its message.  Read slowly, thoroughly, prayerfully.  Notice how it is written—figures of speech, length of sentences, choices of words.
  • 5. Try re-writing the biblical psalm in your own words. Keep the poetic format where possible.  
  • 6. Consider the types of language used. Listen to the metaphors and similes the psalmist uses. and try writing a few of your own. Make a list of richer-than-usual words you could use that would still sound like your voice. Think of this as the “sketching” stage of creating a painting.
  • 7. Make a list of some of your own circumstances that may parallel David’s.  For instance—probably very few of us have been hiding in a cave from a crazed king followed by ruthless armies, but surely we have had other experiences that brought about fear.
  • 8. Begin writing a psalm of your own. When you have some ideas percolating in your mind and heart, begin to write one parallels the one you have been reading.  It will take several tries to express what you really want to bring out, so don't be afraid to re-write it, even over a few days.  

Remember—we are simply using a different form to write our prayers to God.  Let’s not get too hung up on form.  The point is to write an honest prayer from the depth of our hearts like David did.



Perhaps there will be a time when we can all get together and read our psalms to each other.  Wouldn’t that be a blessing?  

will try writing my own psalm this week and hope to post it in the next blog (God willing!).  I would be very blessed if you would share yours with me (you can send it by email:  cindystrum@me.com).  
If you are feeling brave, I would be happy to share yours on the blog as well.   Just let me know if it's just for my eyes, or if you are ok with sharing it online. 

Maybe there’s even a book in our future… (Pandemic Psalms?)



By the way-- a year after I moved, I learned that several people on my car-prayer list had met Jesus in a real way.  Praise God!  I am still praying for the rest.

Cindy Harris ~ Listening to God Together ~ cindystrum@me.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How On Earth Do We Shine?

REBELLION!

In A Pickle