God, We Need You...Every Hour!



God, We Need You.. Every Hour!

I NEED GOD.  Wow, do I ever need Him.!  It seems like more everyday.  This week I was made aware of how much tension I was holding over a couple of alpaca issues.  Both of them resolved very positively, and I was amazed at the extreme feeling of relief that followed both situations.  It really surprised me.  It makes me wonder what else is bubbling beneath the surface that I'm not aware of.  Yet.

The really good news, though, is that in whatever situation I find myself, I am not alone.  (And neither are you, by the way).    I am so thankful that God in Christ is with me ALL THE TIME.  He doesn’t sleep or take coffee breaks or run errands, so He is here with me even when I am not aware of Him.

Raise your hand if you get distracted and lose sight of His presence with you sometimes…  (mine is high in the air!)



Do you find yourself asking to God to “be with” someone?  It’s one of those conventions we use even though it doesn’t make sense, like saying "I want a whole 'nother helping of potatoes".  LOL!   If you think about it, you already know that God is always with us!

A few years ago I became convinced that the best prayer I could pray for anyone is to draw nearer to Christ.  It’s one of those great prayers that can’t miss!  It includes believers and non-believers, young and old, race, color, creed, gender, and economic status.   Every single human being could stand to be closer to Christ than they currently are.

In John 15:5, Jesus says “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.”  



Nothing.  Not one thing.  No wonder there are days and times when I can’t function!  I need to spend more time attached to the vine.  Or at least being aware of being attached.  Thank God nothing can “un-attach” me from God.  I’m glad it doesn’t depend on me!

Thomas Keating says: 
"The words of Jesus to Thomas … might be paraphrased as follows: 'You based your faith on seeing me, Thomas, but there is a greater happiness - to believe in my resurrection because you experience its effects within yourself.'… It is far better to relate to the risen Christ on the basis of pure faith that rests … on our personal experience of the Christ-life rising up and manifesting its fruits within us. This is the living faith that empowers us to act under the influence of the Spirit."
- Thomas Keating, The Mystery of Christ




So then…. how can we be more conscious of our attachment to Jesus? What would it be like to live our lives with His real presence in our conscious thought all the time--  like being linked arm-in-arm with Him, seeing and hearing all the same things?

Over time, Christians have developed practices --spiritual disciplines--that can help accomplish a closer sense of God’s presence.  Different practices appeal to different people of course.  Maybe you will find one one of these helpful.  Or think of one yourself.

  • Following a schedule each day, like a monastery, to stop and pray— either prescribed prayers or your own.  You can memorize or ready a “daily office” such as the Book of Common Prayer or Celtic Daily Prayer.
  • Setting your phone or watch alarm for repeated times during the day to stop and acknowledge God’s presence.
  • Using an app on your phone, such as “One Minute Pause” developed by John Eldredge.
  • Setting an internal signal that reminds you to pray, such as feeling anxious or sad or guilty or ashamed.
  • Tying prayer to another activity you do repeatedly such as driving, washing dishes, laundry, brushing your teeth, changing the channel on the TV, looking out the window—just like we get in the habit of saying Grace before meals.
  • Singing or listening to worship music throughout the day.
  • Playing Christian radio as you go through your day.
  • Using prayer beads or some other gadget that can always be in your pocket or some place you see frequently.

I read about one man who set his watch alarm to go off once every 5 minutes, and then every one minute.  He must have been very aware of God. although I wondered how he ever got anything done!

After practicing these habits for awhile, the subconscious mind begins to anticipate the intervals and reminds you without the device.  That is the goal.  Pretty soon you will be “abiding” with Christ without even having to “think” about it. 



As I read Psalm 111 I was struck by how great God is, and how thoroughly He intends to be with us.  

Imagine for a minute what it might be like if we could spend our hours conscious of His loving presence. Now ask God to do that in you.  I'm sure He would be happy to walk with you through the process.  

My prayer is that we all can— more and more— “be with” Him.



Psalm 111

1 Praise the Lord!
I will praise the Lord with my whole heart,
In the assembly of the upright and in the congregation.
2 The works of the Lord are great,
Studied by all who have pleasure in them.
3 His work is honorable and glorious,
And His righteousness endures forever.
4 He has made His wonderful works to be remembered;
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion.

5 He has given food to those who fear Him;
He will ever be mindful of His covenant.
6 He has declared to His people the power of His works,
In giving them the heritage of the nations.
7 The works of His hands are righteousness and justice;
All His precepts are sure.
8 They stand fast forever and ever,
And are done in truth and uprightness.

9 He has sent redemption to His people;
He has commanded His covenant forever:
Holy and awesome is His name.
10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
A good understanding have all those who do His commandments.
His praise endures forever.

I love country renditions of hymns.  Please enjoy this one. 💖 (and don't turn it off too soon...)


...or this more traditional version:

Blessings to you all.
Cindy

Comments

  1. Thank you for your words of encouragement and pointing us to Christ - May we all draw nearer to Him as we are apart from each other - and May we never stop singing to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly beautiful ....the words and the music. God is using you, Cindy, in a wonderful and powerful way through these messages. Thank you for being His servant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REBELLION!

In A Pickle

How On Earth Do We Shine?