What Is Bothering Me So Much??



Two weeks didn’t sound very long when all of this began.  Why does it feel like such a long time now?  Today the President said we’ll have the economy roaring again by Easter! That sounds great!  But… Easter is still weeks away.  

What about the shortages in the grocery store? What about not being able to go see my grandkids? What about stocks and investments that are sinking and sinking?  What about the boredom of watching TV ~ especially when all they talk about is bad news?  More political haggling, more obstruction, more nastiness…. Rumors, fears, tension….



Why are you cast down, O my soul?  Well, honestly, there seem to be plenty of reasons!



David felt that way too.  He remembered gladder times, but right now, in this space, his diet consists of bitterness and tears and oppression and persecution.  Yikes!

Have you ever complained to God?  I have. Lots of times.  And in the end, although my circumstances may not have changed, I had to agree with David.  There’s very little doubt that in the end, I will hope in God, I will praise Him again.  Because He is good.  


God commanded Israel to set up monuments—altars— in certain places so there would be a physical reminder of His miracles, but they still forgot.  Sometimes I forget.  But the Holy Spirit in me reminds me of those times.  He says, 
“Have I ever led you out into the desert to die?  Remember the time the money arrived just in time?  Remember waking up in the morning to find that the alpaca cria had learned to nurse overnight?  Remember when your daughter’s fever broke, your son finally came home?”  
And I remember and praise Him.  He is my help and my God.



PSALM 42

1As a hart longs
    for flowing streams,
so longs my soul
    for thee, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God,
    for the living God.
When shall I come and behold
    the face of God?
3 My tears have been my food
    day and night,
while men say to me continually,
    “Where is your God?”

4 These things I remember,
    as I pour out my soul:
how I went with the throng,
    and led them in procession to the house of God,
with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving,
    a multitude keeping festival.

5 Why are you cast down, O my soul,
    and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
    my help and my God.

6 My soul is cast down within me,
    therefore I remember thee
from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,
    from Mount Mizar.

7 Deep calls to deep
    at the thunder of thy cataracts;
all thy waves and thy billows
    have gone over me.

8 By day the Lord commands his steadfast love;
    and at night his song is with me,
    a prayer to the God of my life.
9 I say to God, my rock:
    “Why hast thou forgotten me?
Why go I mourning
    because of the oppression of the enemy?”

10 As with a deadly wound in my body,
    my adversaries taunt me,
while they say to me continually,
    “Where is your God?”

11 Why are you cast down, O my soul,
    and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,

    my help and my God.

Here is a new song you might enjoy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJQi2x_fiQ

While we are still at home, before we’re allowed to return to all our distracted busy-ness, maybe we could do something unusual.  Let's tell ourselves what David told himself-- Hope in God.  Let's create a grateful spiritual practice that will be something to help us remember the goodness of God.

Here are some ideas on a card that Dr. Catherine Hart Weber gave me during a recent class.  I’m going to turn off the TV, get myself a bowl and a candle and get started.  Care to join me?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How On Earth Do We Shine?

REBELLION!

In A Pickle